In California, hypnotherapy is for vocational and avocational (self-improvement) counseling (Business and Professions Code 2908), and as complementary treatment to healing arts services licensed by the State. Included in that section, the law entitles a hypnotherapist to work outside the areas of vocational, avocational self-improvement, provided that they receive a referral from persons licensed to practice psychology, dentistry, or medicine.
California does not have an explicit statute or regulation requiring licensure for hypnotists or hypnotherapy. California Business and Professions Code 2908 exempts “persons using hypnotic techniques” from the psychology licensing act to do “vocational or avocational self-improvement” as long as they “do not treat emotional or mental disorders.” Section 2908 also exempts “persons using hypnotic techniques” when they are working under referral “of persons licensed to practice psychology, dentistry, or medicine.”
In keeping with the above, a hypnotherapist is not a licensed physician or psychologist and hypnotherapy services are not licensed by the State of California. Services are non-diagnostic and do not include the practice of medicine, neither should they be considered as a substitute for licensed medical or psychological procedures or services.
This said, over the years my hypnotherapy practice has been unique when compared to the work done by other hypnotherapists, as follows:
- In private practice, I have frequently worked with referrals from physicians, licensed therapists, dentists, and chiropractors.
- As part of their continuing education requirements, I have taught stress management workshops to both medical personnel and licensed mental health practitioners.
- I worked on staff in the Craniofacial Pain Clinic of a regional medical center in Los Angeles, CA.
- I have taught stress management, hypnosis, and hypnotherapy subject matter continuing education classes to Marriage and Family Therapists, and Psychologists in California.
- I have taught hypnosis and stress management subject matter continuing education classes to dentists in California. And,
- I taught continuing education classes through the Department of Educational Psychology at California State University Northridge.
The foregoing directly speaks to my knowledge, years of experience, on-going training, and recognition by professionals as a hypnotherapist and educator.